Today I'm sharing a quick & easy recipe that I tossed together one day. It was one of those days where I felt like we had nothing in the fridge... But, with a few simple ingredients, I was still able to put these little guys together. They made the perfect lunch, but would also be a great appetizer or salad topper, even!
I know sardines have a reputation for being sort of "icky" to most people (I used to feel the same). Do them up right, however, and they're a tasty dose of protein, Vitamin B12, and omega-3 fats.
I hope you enjoy these crispy, savory bites as much as I did! Don't forget to pick up some coconut aminos for dipping-- it adds the perfect amount of slightly sweet flavor!
- 1 tin sardines, drained
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- small handful of spinach (or other greens), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- optional for dipping: sriracha, coconut aminos
- medium bowl
- skillet for pan-frying
- Whisk one egg in a medium bowl. Add the sardines, garlic, spinach, and coconut flour and stir with a fork to combine.
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Scoop out the mixture into 1/4 cup portions, and shape as you like. I made a ball shape, then flattened them slightly.
- Fry the fritters in coconut oil for 2-3 minutes per side, or until browned.
- Serve warm dipped in coconut aminos.