This dish was created with that meal prep scenario in mind, but was also inspired by my non-egg-loving friends. Some of you (including my little brother) have asked for egg-less dishes that still make a healthy, hearty breakfast.
Whether you're allergic, sensitive, or just don't like eggs~ this would be a great one for you. Just call it done before the eggs are added in.
I hope you enjoy the smokey-sweet flavors of this dish. The ingredients are simple, but this breakfast becomes something special with a little spice!
Change up the sausage or type of potato if you like, and make this dish your own. I hope you enjoy! & Don't forget to check out my "notes" below for preparing this. :)
- 1 medium-large sweet potato
- 9 oz precooked chicken apple sausage (I used 3 links of Aidells)
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil or ghee
- 1/4 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- handful of spinach (or parsley), chopped
- 6 eggs
- large skillet with a lid*
- Scrub the sweet potato & use a knife to poke a few small holes in it. Wrap the sweet potato in a damp paper towel, and microwave for 4 minutes to soften it and start the cooking process.
- Cut the sausage into pieces. I quartered mine lengthwise then sliced into small bite-sized chunks. Cut the sweet potato into similarly-sized cubes. Chop the onion, bell pepper, and spinach.
- Heat the avocado oil or ghee in a large skillet. Add the sausage, sweet potato, onion, and bell pepper (saving the spinach off to the side), and sauté over medium high (stirring often) for 3 minutes or until the potatoes are light brown & softened.
- Add the chili powder, and stir until the spice is fragrant (about 1-2 minutes). Stir in the chopped spinach, and reduce the heat to medium.
- Dig six "holes" in the hash mixture, and crack an egg into each one.* Sprinkle the entire dish with salt and pepper.
- Cover the dish with a lid, and cook until the whites are opaque (8-10 minutes or so).
- Scoop out & serve hot. It tasted great served with hot sauce & avocado!
- I use Aidells Chicken Apple Sausage links that are fully cooked. If you are using uncooked sausage, brown that first before sautéing the remaining ingredients.
- Leave out the eggs for an egg-less "hash" or use whatever amount you like.
- If you're nervous about getting eggshells in your dish, crack the eggs into a small bowl one at a time~ then pour them into the skillet one by one. This will give you the chance to pick out any shells.
- If you have sticking anxiety like I do, drizzle a little extra avocado oil in each "hole" before dropping in your egg.
- If you don't have a lidded skillet, you can also finish this dish off in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400ºF, then bake the dish after step 5~ for about 10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked.