By now, most of you probably know that while I love to cook... I am all about practical recipes. My most favorite meals are ones that can be prepared in a single dish with absolute minimum dishes to clean. If it's easy to cook & doesn't require me to "babysit" it~ even better!
This, my friends... has got to be the easiest dinner I've ever shared on my blog. You don't have to be a chef to prepare this one. All you need is a knife, a baking dish, and an oven- and you're set. No flipping pieces of meat, poking veggies for done-ness, or babysitting a stove.
Simply chop, dress, mix, & bake.
I also love how versatile this dish is. Just change up the veggies, vinegar, and/or spices to give it a whole new theme. One of my friends over on Instagram gave the idea of using peppers, onions, and cilantro, and topping with avocado or guacamole for a Mexican dish... Love it!
This dish is meant to be stress-free, so don't worry about perfecting the cuts of your meat & veggies or spicing it to absolute perfection. Somehow it always turns out perfect, with the meat cooked through (yet not overdone) and the veggies perfectly tender. & You can always add a little extra salt & pepper (or hot sauce!) once you dish it up.
Enjoy, and please comment below or post a picture on Instagram (tag me @justjessieb) if you make it!
Ingredients: (for my Italian-inspired version)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 lbs chicken (I used 1 lb breasts & 1 lb thighs)
- 3-4 cups veggies (I used 2 zucchini, 1/2 eggplant, handful of sugar plum tomatoes, 1/2 red bell pepper, & 1/2 sweet onion)
*Makes 4-6 servings, depending on your portion size.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- While the oven is heating, combine the EVOO, vinegar, and spices in a large bowl. This is your "dressing".
- Cut your chicken into 1" cubes, tossing the pieces into the "dressing" bowl as you go. Give it a good mix to coat the chicken.
- Do the same with your veggies (cut into similarly-sized pieces, & add to the bowl as you go).
- Stir the mixture one last time so that the chicken & vegetables are evenly coated by the dressing.
- Transfer the mixture to a large baking dish (9x13") and pop it in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
- That's it! Serve over greens, cauliflower rice, or veggie noodles for even more veggies, or eat it on its own. Reheats perfectly for leftovers too!