On weekday mornings, I don't have a ton of time for breakfast (I'm pretty sure no one does).
No matter how great my intentions are-- as far as waking up early & giving myself time to ease into my morning & cook a nice breakfast... it just doesn't happen. I hit 'snooze' one too many times, my hair doesn't cooperate, I change my outfit, Tucker doesn't want to get out of bed, etc.
This recipe takes about 3 minutes to prepare... meaning no matter how short on time, I can still whip this up & start off my day with an awesome breakfast. Plus, it tastes just as great on the weekend when you actually do have time! :)
I love having eggs for breakfast, but I know they can get boring. This is one way I dress up my eggs, while getting in some extra veggies & healthy fats. I call it "huevos rancheros" because I'm not sure what else to call it... All I know is that it's quick, filling, & tastes delicious! & It has salsa and avocado-- which means Mexican, right?!
Now I'm sure this recipe could be fancied up with extra ingredients & homemade salsa, etc... but to be honest, I don't always have the time (or patience) for fancy. ;)
So whether you're in a pinch on an early morning, or impressing your significant other with brunch on a Saturday~ this one's a keeper! Hope you enjoy this simple recipe.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup baby spinach, torn
- 1 Tbsp salsa (I like Trader Joe's Double Roasted Salsa)
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium to medium-high heat.
- Crack the egg into the skillet & top with salt, pepper, & torn spinach.
- Once the white begins to bubble around the edges, use a spatula to break the yolk.
- Flip over the egg (so the raw yolk is face down) and continue cooking until firm & fully cooked.
- Turn off the heat & mix in the salsa.
- Serve with sliced avocado & enjoy!
*You can cook your egg any way you like, I just do it this way because it's quick and requires no extra dishes (win, win).