I have been loving bars lately, because they're just so easy. Easy to make, bake, and grab to eat.
And when you're using Paleo ingredients, that "bar" texture is an easy one to re-create. Things like creamy almond butter, fluffy almond flour, and smooth bananas just seem to lend themselves perfectly to a fudgy bar consistency.
Now these aren't just any ol' sweet "treat" of a bar (although they do taste that way). I call these "breakfast bars" because they have so many amazing ingredients mixed in, they are almost like a small meal!
With 1/2 cup of egg whites and 1/2 cup of collagen blended in, these sweet, yummy bars pack a serious punch of clean protein. Combine that with lots of healthy fats from the nuts, and all the yummy banana goodness, and you've got "breakfast"! Or at least a start to it.
And with a flavor like "banana nut"?! Who could resist these sweet & creamy, good-for-you squares - especially with a cup of morning coffee?
Enjoy these babies first thing in the morning, or as a sweet indulgence at night. You won't be disappointed!
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, chopped
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup collagen
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8" or 9" square baking dish with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a food processor*, pulse the wet ingredients until smooth: banana, almond butter, egg whites, vanilla, and maple syrup.
- Add the dry ingredients, and continue to pulse until combined: almond flour, collagen, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt.
- Add the chopped nuts, pulsing just a couple of times to mix them in.
- Transfer the batter to the lined baking dish, smoothing over the top. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until firm.
- Allow the bars to cool, then slice into squares & serve. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
- This could also be done in a blender! Add all of the wet ingredients to the blender, pulsing until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl, and stir in the dry ingredients, followed by the chopped nuts.
- Top with a drizzle of maple syrup & extra chopped nuts if you like!