I've been really into cashews again lately for making basically ANY dish turn creamy & delicious.
They're the best for dairy-free swaps like cheesecakes & creamy sauces. But, I was craving something a little different- something even more savory. And the thought of that cheesy cashew creaminess paired with somethin' spicy... just sounded too good!
It almost takes on a cheesy sour cream taste, in the best sort of way- while being dairy-free!
As much as I LOVED this creamy chicken served over a baked sweet potato (the perfect flavor combo by the way) with some fresh veggies & hot sauce over top... I couldn't help but just eat it straight from the bowl. It's so creamy & decadent, it's addicting!
- scooped over a baked sweet potato or cauli-rice with fajita veggies for a "burrito bowl",
- in a Paleo tortilla (try Siete Foods) with shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes for a creamy soft taco,
- as a protein-packed dip with plantain or grain-free tortilla chips,
- mixed with bone broth for a creamy Mexican soup, or
- eaten with a fork- straight from the bowl!
- 12 oz tomatillo salsa (aka "salsa verde")
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp each: salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1.5 lbs chicken (I used half breasts, half thighs)
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Add the chicken and salsa to a large saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat. Cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through (no longer pink).
- Reduce the heat to "low" and use two forks to shred the chicken, leaving it to sit in the salsa.
- Blend the cashews, coconut milk, lemon juice, and spices until smooth, then stir the creamy sauce into the pot of salsa chicken. Continue to heat on "low" until warmed through.
- Serve warm, garnished with fresh cilantro.
- You can also cook the chicken "Salsa Chicken" style in the slow cooker if that's what you prefer. The stovetop method is pretty quick & easy though!