These cookies have the perfect soft/chewy texture that every good oatmeal cookie should. I swapped out the oats for shredded unsweetened coconut, and added some trail mix-inspired ingredients (chocolate, nuts, raisins) to boost the flavor. The addition of cinnamon & nutmeg really pushes these cookies over the edge, and gives them a warm, sweet flavor that is perfectly balanced by the sea salt.
Try these out next time you're having a cookie craving, or bring them to a gathering... I don't think your friends/family will guess that they are caveman-friendly! :)
- 1/4 cup grass-fed butter or coconut oil, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup of each: sliced almonds, shredded coconut, raisins, chocolate chips (I use the "Enjoy Life" brand)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Combine the softened butter, egg, maple syrup, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl, until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients with your mix-ins (sliced almonds, coconut, raisins, chocolate chips), until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until all of the flour is mixed in.
- Scoop your cookie dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, using an ice cream scoop. Flatten each cookie dough ball to about 1/4" thick.
- Bake the cookies at 350ºF for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly golden brown around the edges.
- Allow to cool, and enjoy!