I love waking up and sharing breakfast with my family, especially on the rare occasion where we're all at home to enjoy each other's company. This dish is a great way to bring everyone together, without spending all your time in the kitchen.
If you want to prepare this dish the night before, simply cover the baking dish and refrigerate until morning. Then go ahead & bake when you're ready! This makes it perfect for the holidays or any occasion where you have guests over~ and would prefer to spend your morning relaxing with loved ones instead of hovering over a stovetop.
This dish is so colorful, & has great simple flavors. I've seen so many family-style breakfast dishes around, most of which contain tons of bread, cheese, and processed foods. While that may be perfect for some, I like to start my morning off right with a healthy breakfast~ without sacrificing taste.
A hearty, tasty breakfast casserole dish doesn't have to be packed with gluten and dairy. Each of the simple ingredients in this recipe brings amazing flavor, and eliminates the need for 'extras'. Feel free to use this recipe as a guide, and substitute your family's favorite meats, vegetables, and spices. I think a ham & broccoli combination would be awesome!
For those of you interested, this dish is Paleo-friendly, and free of dairy, gluten, nuts, soy, & sugar.
*Continue reading for slow cooker & muffin-tin variations*
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage (12 small links)
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- coconut oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a large skillet, cook the pork breakfast sausage over medium-high heat until browned. Drain, & set aside.
- Coat a large baking dish (mine was 9" x 12") with coconut oil spray, and distribute the sausage, spinach, and bell pepper evenly throughout the dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, & pepper in a bowl, and pour the egg mixture over the meat and veggies.
- Sprinkle the green onions over top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until eggs are set & a toothpick comes out clean.
*Makes 8 servings.
Slow Cooker: Follow the same steps using your slow cooker. Prepare the night before & cook on low for 7-8 hours, or high for 4 hours (until eggs are set).
Egg Muffins: Follow the same steps using a muffin tin (you made need more than one muffin tin). Fill each greased cup with sausage & veggies, then pour egg mixture over top. Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes (until eggs are set).