Next up on my Paleo-fied recipe list: this Cashew Chicken! I know I've been tempting you with it over on Instagram & Facebook... but I just couldn't wait to show off the pictures, in hopes that you would somehow realize how amazingly delicious this is.
I was inspired by this: Crockpot Cashew Chicken Recipe found on Pinterest. & By "inspired" I mean that it totally made my mouth water & stomach turn at the same time. Because it looked SO delicious... but the ingredients. Oh, the ingredients... I know I'm probably sounding like a snob, but when you know the magic that a few clean, simple, real-food ingredients can do~ it's hard to justify ketchup, corn starch, canola oil, and two types of sugar. Plus, enough soy sauce to make your fingers swell for days. So while probably tasty~ just not worth it.
This version takes the same idea & flavor profile, and cleans it up to Paleo standards, with no wheat, soy, or refined sugars. What's left behind is a sweet Asian-inspired sauce with a light heat & tons of bold flavor, in a recipe that will feed you for days.
To top it all off, this is one of the easiest recipes I've ever made, and is Whole30 adaptable by simply leaving out the honey. Quickly pan-fry your chicken (or not, see below), toss a bunch of stuff in the pot, and let it slow cook away... Come home to dinner that tastes like Asian takeout. :D
Easy, delicious, and healthy... You must make this! Then come back & comment your review below!
- Double the sauce recipe if you like things 'saucy', or if you will be serving this over some sort of rice.
- Add cashews during the last hour if you like them more crunchy.
- Skip step one (coating/pan-frying the chicken) if you're pressed for time or just want to keep things simple.
- Serve over steamed stir-fry veggies (we love the frozen blend from Whole Foods' 365 brand), cauliflower rice, or white rice (if you do grains).
Makes 4-6 servings.
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup honey (omit to make this Whole30 compliant)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cashews
- chopped green onion for garnish
- large skillet (if you're planning on pan-frying your chicken first~ optional)
- slow cooker
- Optional Step 1: Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Shake in a bag with coconut flour to coat (or toss in a large bowl). Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pan-fry the chicken in coconut oil for about 2 minutes per side to brown (it won't be cooked through).
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut aminos, honey, tomato paste, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes to be used as your sauce.
- Place chicken in the slow cooker (can use pan-fried pieces or even leave the chicken breasts whole & shred them after cooking... the choice is yours!). Top the chicken with cashews & sauce.
- Cook on "low" for 3-4 hours, and top with chopped green onion.