If you've ever tried the Chicken Bacon Artichoke "Delite" thin crust pizza from Papa Murphy's... or anything similar... you know that it is a little slice of heaven on earth. I haven't had that pizza in ages, but had a sudden, serious craving for it.
|non-Paleo inspiration from the Papa Murphy's website ;)|
So, I put my "Paleofying" skills to work, and came up with a healthy dupe!
My pizza sauce inspiration came from the "Alfredo" in my Paleo Chicken Alfredo Pasta, where I used a cashew base. The result was a creamy, dreamy, garlicky sauce that was perfect for this pizza. I then used chopped chicken, spinach, & crumbled bacon to top it off and make it extra filling.
As far as crusts go, I don't have a "perfect Paleo pizza crust" of my own quite yet. I do have a really good Cauliflower Pizza Crust if you're into that, but I was looking for more of a traditional thin crust to make this pizza feel like the real deal.
I did my research & came across this Pizza Crust Recipe from Paleo Spirit. I followed her recipe, substituting arrowroot flour for tapioca (since that's what I had on hand), and I was really impressed.
If you're not into the idea of making your own or buying specific flours just for pizza crust use, I would highly recommend the "Paleo Pizza Crust" from Julian Bakery. I have a full review of it HERE if you want all the details. The Julian Bakery products have been hit or miss for me, but this one was a big hit.
This pizza would be perfect for a lunch, appetizer, or dinner with a soup or salad. The perfect comfort-food dupe for my thin crust pizza lovers!
Hope you enjoy this as much as we did! & Don't forget to check out my "notes" at the bottom of the post for tips. :)
PS: I did not add artichoke hearts but think they would make this pizza even more amazing!
*Makes sauce & toppings for one large pizza.
- Paleo-friendly pizza crust (see my recommendations above)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (water would work)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or ghee
- 1-2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup minced white onion
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup fully cooked chicken, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon
- handful of fresh spinach, chopped
- Italian seasoning
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- baking sheet or pizza stone
- food processor or blender
- pizza cutter
- Precook your pizza crust according to recipe instructions, until it reaches a light golden brown. Remove it from the oven, then adjust the heat to 450ºF.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until soft. Transfer to a blender or food processor, and add the following: cashews, coconut milk, chicken broth. Blend until smooth, and season with salt & pepper to taste. This is your pizza sauce.
- Spread your sauce over the pizza crust, and top with spinach, chopped chicken, and crumbled bacon. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes for extra flavor.
- Bake the pizza for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the sauce bubbles and the pizza toppings are heated through. I set mine to "broil" for the last couple of minutes for a little more browning action.
- Remove from the oven, slice, and serve!
*Notes: Feel free to double the recipe if you're making two pizzas at once, or just double the sauce & save the leftovers for an "Alfredo" dish later in the week. I also recommend using more sauce than you would think with this recipe~ it soaks in a little!