I have been craving soups lately, most likely due to the weather. & As much as I love using my crockpot, stovetop soups are sometimes more realistic for me when I don't have (or take) the time to plan ahead.
This one is super quick to toss together, but you'd never guess it from the amazing flavor you'll get. The most time consuming part of this recipe is combining all of the spices... so I would recommend making a double or triple batch, so that you'll have leftovers on hand for future soups or stir-frys.
Frozen vegetables are another great time-saver. I really recommend the 365 brand "Stir Fry Vegetable" blend from Whole Foods Market. It's one of the few that's truly Paleo-friendly... no baby corn or legumes. We always have a bag or two on hand for a quick & easy dinner.
Besides being delicious, this soup is also full of good-for-you ingredients, and is Whole30 compliant!
- 1 lb shrimp (or meat of choice, cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 lb mixed stir-fry vegetables (I used the frozen bag from Whole Foods Market's 365 brand)
- 1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
- 16 oz chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- For the curry seasoning:
- 1 tsp each: ground coriander, cumin, cinnamon, ground cloves, ground cardamom, sea salt, black pepper
- 1/2 tsp each: chili powder, turmeric, ground ginger, dried basil
- Combine the spices in a small bowl and set aside. (I keep it pre-mixed in my fridge for quick dinners)
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium to medium high heat. Add the shrimp & spices, and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add the veggies and garlic. Stir fry until the veggies are slightly softened; about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk & chicken broth, and turn the heat up to high.
- Bring the soup to a low boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes (covered).
- Serve hot, topped with cashew pieces if you like some crunch!