I was a pretty picky eater growing up. For many foods I would decide that I "didn't like that", without ever even trying it. Biscuits & gravy was one of those dishes I decided sounded gross and did not want to try....
Fast forward 15 years & I'm living with the man of my dreams, whose all-time favorite pre-Paleo breakfast was biscuits & gravy. After creating amazing Paleo Drop Biscuits, a "biscuits & gravy" dish was the next logical step. So I made it, had Dathan do all of the taste testing, ate it begrudgingly..... and fell in love.
The moral of the story is: try this. Whether you are Paleo or don't care about healthy eating; love sausage gravy or loathe it; you have got to try this. It's a guaranteed success!
PS: If you're feeling hesitant about a coconut milk base.... don't! You won't taste any coconut flavor.
- 1 recipe Paleo Drop Biscuits (bake 'em while you make the gravy)
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- salt & pepper
- Bake a batch of drop biscuits according to the recipe. While they are baking...
- Remove casings from your sausage, and cook in a skillet until crumbled & no longer pink. Transfer the sausage to a separate bowl, leaving the rendered fat in the pan.
- Leave your skillet on medium heat, and add the coconut flour to the fat-- mixing with a wooden spoon until it looks like a thickened paste.
- Add the coconut milk about 1 cup at a time, whisking as you pour. Continue whisking as it bubbles & thickens to your liking.
- Once it reaches the thickness you prefer, add salt & plenty of black pepper.
- Stir in the cooked sausage, and pour over hot biscuits.
- Serve & enjoy!!