To me, this makes the perfect Sunday morning breakfast. It fills up the house with amazing smells, and is hearty enough to keep everyone full until lunch. I love how the sweet potato makes it seem more indulgent & filling, while providing you with clean, healthy energy to fuel your day.
Try this scramble served on its own, topped with hot sauce, or wrap it up in a Julian's Bakery Paleo Wrap to turn it into the perfect sweet & savory breakfast burrito. You can find the Paleo Wraps at Whole Foods or on Amazon.com~ check out my link on the right side of my blog to see them in my Amazon Store.
Oh, and don't forget to season your eggs~ the spices I use really tie everything together, and go perfectly with the sweet potato & sausage; creating a smoky flavor that is perfect for fall.
Let me know if you give this a try!
Recipe serves 2 to 3- depending on your appetite :)
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/3 lb pork breakfast sausage, casings removed
- 6 eggs
- handful of spinach
- sprinkle of each: chili powder, paprika, garlic, salt, & pepper
- cooking fat of choice (I used avocado oil)
- Heat the sweet potato in the microwave for about 3 minutes, or until it is slightly softened. Cut it into cubes and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs with a sprinkle of each seasoning in a large bowl, and set that aside as well. (I used about 1/4 tsp of each spice)
- In a large skillet, cook the breakfast sausage over medium high heat until it is broke up and browned throughout.
- Add the sweet potatoes, and sauté until they are lightly browned around the edges- about 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and use your rubber spatula or wooden spoon to move all of the sausage & sweet potato to the outside edges of the pan- leaving an empty circle in the middle.
- Fill the center with about a tablespoon of avocado oil (or cooking fat of choice), and pour in the seasoned eggs. Top with a handful of spinach, torn into pieces.
- Allow the eggs to cook on bottom for about 1 minute, then use your rubber spatula to continuously scrape the pan & fold the sausage/sweet potato mixture into the cooking eggs.
- Continue to cook until the eggs are set.
- Serve scrambled or wrapped in a Paleo Wrap as a breakfast burrito!