It's been fun to coming up with new recipes for us that are budget-friendly, tasty, and healthy! This is one of my recent creations: broccoli apple slaw. I start off with a simple bag of broccoli slaw mix~ you can find it at Trader Joe's, or check out the selection at your local grocery store. I then toss in a few ingredients, whisk up the quickest dressing of life, and the perfect summer side dish is done.
We love this with grass-fed hot dogs, salmon burgers, and stuffed turkey burgers. This would also be the perfect light dish to bring to a barbecue or summer gathering... super light & fresh, delicious, and a great way to introduce your friends & family to Paleo! Show them that healthy eating can taste amazing too!
The recipe below is for those, like me, who prefer a light coating of dressing. If you like a heavier amount, just double the recipe for the dressing! You can always save any extra for your salads.
I hope you enjoy!
- 2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1 apple, diced (I used Pink Lady)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tsp of each: almond butter, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the broccoli slaw, diced apple, and sliced almonds in a medium to large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients (almond butter, ACV, lemon juice, garlic, & avocado oil) until fully combined- this is your dressing.
- Drizzle the dressing over your slaw, and toss until evenly coated.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper, and enjoy! Make sure you store it in the refrigerator :)
Pictured as a side with Wild Alaskan Salmon Burgers! Found @ Costco :)