One big question I've heard from several people gone Paleo is, "What should I put in my coffee?". With all of the "amazing" flavored lattes and sinful frappuccino creations out there in the world, it's hard to find Paleo-friendly options. Of course you can always opt for straight black coffee, but I guess I'm not grown up enough for that yet! ;)
Starbucks doesn't offer almond or coconut milk as a dairy alternative (just soy~ no thanks), & the Paleo-friendly(ish) store options just tasted bland to me. So, I made my own. It's wonderful... so much less guilty than my Starbucks "skinny vanilla latte" splurges, & way tastier than my plain black coffee with a sprinkle of coconut sugar. This coffee creamer is delicious~ & 100% Paleo.
Now, don't think that you have to be Susie-homemaker to make your own coffee creamer. It's as easy as opening a can & shaking up some ingredients in a mason jar. Before you assume it's ridiculous to make your own, go check the ingredients list... there's only two! So go on & give it a try :)
A few notes on what I used...
- I went for Trader Joe's 'Light Coconut Milk', because they didn't have a non-light version. Light basically means that water was added to the pure coconut milk to cut down calories. If you want a thicker creamer, don't choose light. Mine still turned out wonderful, & I guess I don't mind fewer calories!
- Also, I left mine unsweetened so that I could add coconut sugar or stevia to my cup when I wanted it. You can easily add it in to your mason jar & have it pre-sweetened if that's what you prefer!
Vanilla Coconut Coffee Creamer
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (alcohol-free for Whole30)
- Add the ingredients to a mason jar & shake well.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Shake before serving, & Enjoy!