Here I am again today with another healthy Paleo recipe!.............. Just kidding ;)
Today’s recipe is definitely not Paleo, but hey—everyone deserves a splurge every once in awhile. These cookies are actually not for me, but are being packaged up & sent away to someone very special to me... my little brother!
My brother, Alex, just moved about 5 hours away for college. It’s a bittersweet feeling... I’m sad that we won’t get to spend as much time together, but I am also SO proud of the smart decisions he has made & where his life is headed. So, I’m looking at the bright side & embracing the opportunity to embarrass him from a distance by sending him care packages!
First up—his favorite cookies. I sent him a random subtle text last night asking, “What’s your favorite cookie?” & he immediately wrote back with “those Oreo ones you make”. So, here they are… my Chocolate Chip Oreo Cookies. These have also been a hit at family parties (among kids & adults alike!) and are a fun little switch-up from the classic chocolate chip cookie.
Enjoy the recipe, and stay tuned till the end where I show you how I packaged them up to be sent off to baby brother & his new roommate! :)
- 2 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 16 Oreos, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, brown sugar, butter & vanilla until fluffy.
- Stir in the eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt) with the chocolate chips.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture in thirds, each time stirring until just combined.
- Mix in the crushed Oreos.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 20 minutes; it's easier to manage when it's cold.
- Shape your cookies & place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. (I roll them up, tear in half, & stick back together. Sounds confusing, but it gives them a better "look" & keeps them from getting too flat.)
- Freeze the cookies on the sheet for 5-10 minutes. (My secret for avoiding "puddle" cookies!)
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until they begin to turn light golden brown.
*Variation: My brother’s roommate likes “classic” chocolate chip cookies, so I cut the batch in half before refrigerating. For the “classic” half, I added ¼ cup more chocolate chips & left out the Oreos. Everything else is the same! :)
Here's how I packaged it all up! My mom helped me wrap them up & make a little topper for each. I then stuck in a few other goodies (jerky, gum, hand sanitizer) and a box of cards my mom made for Alex to write home.
Let me know if you have someone that you send care packages to, & if you have any good ideas of what to put in Alex's next box!
AND, would love to hear if you try the cookies! They really are worth the splurge! ;)